How to Embed Google Docs in WordPress
With EmbedPress, you can add Google Docs to WordPress, using just a URL.
Google Docs is an enormously popular service that has replaced Microsoft Office for many companies. Using Google Docs can bring your documents to life with live writing and editing tools.
Google Docs embeds are possible, but they’re not easy to use via normal methods. EmbedPress is different. With EmbedPress, you don’t have to mess around with the embed code. All you need is the Google Docs URL.
Here’s how to embed any Google Docs into your WordPress site, using the EmbedPress plugin.
Step #1. Install the EmbedPress plugin
EmbedPress is a very helpful plugin that expands and improves on WordPress’ capabilities. Install EmbedPress and your WordPress site will have far more powerful media options. Click here to find EmbedPress on WordPress.org.
Step #2. Set up your Google Docs
Before you can embed your Google Docs into WordPress, you need to make sure that it is published and visible for the public.
- Log in to Google Docs and access the document you want to publish.
- Go to “File”, then “Publish to the web”.
- Click the blue “Publish” button, as in the image below:
- Next, click “OK” on the next screen:
- Google will now give you a URL for the document. Copy this URL.
Step #3. Publish your WordPress Google Docs embed
Now you have the Google Docs URL, you can add it to WordPress.
- Go to your WordPress site.
- Edit a post or page.
- Add your Google Docs URL into the content area, with the “Visual” tab enabled.
- You will see a purple background with a “Loading your embed …” message:
- Your URL will automatically be transformed into an embed of your Google document:
- Publish your WordPress content, and your Google doc will be embedded, as in the image below:
- The Google Doc embed will be fully responsive:
- If you have a long Google doc, EmbedPress has you covered. You can use the scrollbar on the right-hand side of the Google doc, as shown below:
Step #4. Edit your WordPress Google Docs embed
While editing your WordPress content, you can also edit your embed, thanks to EmbedPress.
- Hover over the embed, and a purple button will appear.
- Click the pencil and a pop-up screen will appear with more options.
- You can now change the embed URL, plus you can also control the maximum width and height of the embed.