How to Embed Twitch Streams and Chats in WordPress
Twitch is a live streaming video platform and part of Amazon.
Twitch is best known for streams of video games, but in recent years it branched out into other topics too. Browse around Twitch and you’ll find music videos and people live-streaming their lives.
Twitch is incredibly popular, with around 2 million broadcasters and 100 million viewers each month.
With EmbedPress, you can add Twitch.tv both streams and chats to WordPress, using just an URL.
Step #1. Install the EmbedPress plugin
EmbedPress is a very helpful plugin that expands and improves on WordPress’ capabilities. Install EmbedPress and your WordPress site will become far more powerful. Click here to find EmbedPress on WordPress.org.
Step #2. Get the Twitch stream URL
- Go to Twitch.tv and open the desired stream channel.
- If you want to embed the stream, just copy the URL from address bar.
- If you want to embed the stream’s chat, just copy the URL from address bar and append /chat to it.
Step #3. Publish your Twitch.tv Embeds
Now you have the stream or chat URL, you can add it to WordPress.
- Go to your WordPress site.
- Edit a post or page.
- Add your Twitch URL into the content area, with the “Visual” tab enabled.
- You will see a purple background with a “Loading your embed …” message:
- Your URL will automatically be transformed into an embed. Here’s how a Twitch stream will appear:
- Here’s how a Twitch chat will appear:
Step #4. Edit your Twitch Embeds
While editing your WordPress content, you can also edit your embed, thanks to EmbedPress.
- Hover over the embed, and a purple button will appear.
- Click the pencil and a pop-up screen will appear with more options.
- You can now change the embed URL, plus you can also control the maximum width and height of the embed.